Sunday, February 10, 2013

Brand Obsession: Apple

For anyone that knows me, they know that I am a serious Apple junkie. I own about every major Apple product that is produced. Some say that Apple lovers form a cult (just like some misinformed people call being an Aggie the same as being brainwashed by a cult-- but I digress). I say that Apple is more efficient, innovative, simple, and sexy than Microsoft. Yes, Apple is sexy. It's hot. It's the company every is talking about, because you either love it or you hate it, and you can't wait to tell others which camp you reside in.

Recently as a part of my Marketing Strategy class, I had to look strategically at Apple, Inc; the entire corporation from smartphones to music to applications to computers. With the passing of Steve Jobs, the genius who made Apple into the mecca it is today, a new CEO takes over brining new opinions, new styles of management, and new ideas on how best to move forward as a company. A lot has been made of Tim Cook, especially in comparison to Steve Jobs (which personally, I don't think is anywhere near being fair, but its a natural tendency). But what about just as Tim Cook, CEO of Apple, Inc? No before or after, just the present. What can he do to continue Apple's rapid growth?

Several ideas were presented in our class discussion of things that Tim Cook should focus on in his tenure at the top of Apple. IP protection, market share, technology advancements, and international marketing were all topics brought forward as potential areas in need of improvement by Mr. Cook. I will go into the two that I agree with the strongest.

Focus #1: IP Protection

In the HBR article that our class read for this discussion, it mentioned that Tim Cook has stated that he won't be as aggressive as Jobs was in pursuing IP infringements. In my opinion, that is a huge mistake. Now, I understand that Jobs was actually criticized for how obsessed he was with suing people for every last dollar they were worth if they messed with Apple IP. I'm not saying I completely condone that approach either. What I will say is that what Jobs did in protecting Apple's creative concepts and ideas obviously worked and garnered the company a huge amount of competitive advantage in several different areas of the technology market. Technological advantage over its competitors is one of Apple's main lifebloods of its organization. Without strong IP protection, Apple's high price point can easily be undercut by competing manufacturers willing to sell for a lower cost and take a lower profit margin.

I suppose I'm more concerned regarding his comments on IP simply because of the fear of the unknown. I suppose this particular focus is just a more "wait and see"just how laisse-faire Cook actually plans on being regarding IP protection. I'll be very interested to see the developments in the next few years and how things change (or don't change).

Focus #2: Technology Advancements

One thing that does worry me a bit as a loyal consumer of Apple products is how many Windows based Android devices are coming out with features that are cooler and more innovative than Apple offers. One of the main successes of Apple has been its flawless iOS system for all of its mobile devices. The iOS is tightly controlled by Apple and offers little room for personalization when compared to a Windows or Android device (unless of course, you were to jailbreak your Apple product).

For a long while, Apple was on top of the heap when it came to cutting-edge technology, but with the recent surge of the Anrdroid platform, Apple no longer can simply rest on their laurels sitting comfortably ahead of the pack in the smartphone/tablet marketplace. With Steve Jobs, you always felt there was a constant presence of innovation at the company and that the next big thing was right around the corner. With Tim Cook in charge, I don't really know what to think yet. Is he capable of creating the level of innovation that Apple has become known for? Is his team of designers up the challenge to take over the bulk of the design role, a role that up until the day of his passing was heavily influenced by Jobs?

One thing is for sure, Apple must find a way to bring their technology back onto par with Windows and the Android OS or else they will lose share in the only product segment within the company in which they still have a distinct and hearty advantage.

Junkie Status

Finally, just as an aside I thought I would prove just how much of an Apple junkie I actually am. I've listed out all the Apple products I own. I am married to iOS and will never be seen buying an android product (mainly because hello, I need my color-coordinated iCal synched wirelessly across all my devices or else I am a lost soul with a schedule).--

  • Black MacBook (2006 model) -- planning on selling it... and taking offers ;)
  • MacBook Pro (2012 model) 
  • iMac 21.5" (2011 model)
  • Apple TV (3rd generation)
  • iPad 1 32GB ---sold it.
  • iPad Retina 32GB white
  • iPhone 3GS 16GB white
  • iPhone 4S 16GB black

3 comments:

  1. I feel like participating in discussion.

    Focus #1: "Without strong IP protection, Apple's high price point can easily be undercut by competing manufacturers..." Some might see this as a monopolistic practice. Although their argument would be hard to justify, seeing as Microsoft has a legitimate Monopoly on the consumer provided desktop operating system.

    Full disclosure, I own these:
    * Nexus 4 running Android 4.2.1
    * Nexus 7 running Android 4.2.1
    * MacBook Pro running Mac OS 10.7.5
    * Samsung Chromebook running Google Chrome OS

    And owned these:
    * Even older MacBook
    * First iPod Touch
    * HTC Aria running CyanogenMod 7
    * Nexus S 4G running CyanogenMod 9

    Thanks Amanda, great read!

    Side note; calendar syncing is standard on both Android and Windows Phone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Zach! Thanks for the comment.

    How do you like your Chromebook? I feel like if I ever shifted away from a MacBook Pro it would be because I got one of those. They fascinate me because of their simplicity of operation and design.

    About the calendar synching: I didn't mean to imply that Android and Windows phones don't have that functionality. I just meant that I'm so committed to the iOS platform that if I were to get an Android device that I wouldn't be able to share my calendar across devices.... unless I put all my events on Google calendar, which I suppose is an option. Right now I house everything in iCal.

    Thanks for reading, Zach. I'll be publishing more marketing-related posts in the coming months that you can hopefully check out as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our Chromebook is nice, but it is not a substitute to a MacBook Pro or any laptop. It's basically a $250 web browser in a box. Nichole uses it at work and she loves its portability and speed. Though I won't say it's a powerful laptop. After opening around 10 tabs, things take much longer than needed. We've enjoyed it a lot as an internet device. But there is one thing that bothers me. You are locked into using Google Chrome as your web browser, and even though I use Chrome as my default browser, the lack of choice irks my "open source, open choice" mentality.

    I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete