Friday, June 4, 2010

BMW Welt & Munich Bike Tour

After battling a madhouse in the breakfast room this morning, we set off via the S-bahn and then the U-bahn until we made it to BMW Welt (BMW World in English) for our tour of their facility. It was kind of interesting since both Brad and his dad have BMW’s, so I felt like I had more of a personal connection to this brand of car, as opposed to Audi. I really love the BMW brand as well, so I think I found the tour to be a lot more fascinating than many other people in my group. We saw their delivery center where customers can come to pick up their BMW’s they have ordered. The atmosphere at BMW Welt for a customer is supposed to make their car buying experience unforgettable, and I completely agree that it would. I can only dream that one day I’ll have enough money to 1) buy a BMW, and 2) have it delivered to BMW Welt!


After the tour, we felt a little crunched for time so we decided not to venture into the BMW Museum. We had heard from others that it wasn’t that impressive, so I didn’t feel too bummed about missing it. After all, I had completed the one thing I had come to BMW Welt to do… get Brad a present. So instead, we caught the S-bahn back to our hotel, changed clothes for the bike tour, and CJ, Laura, and I set off for some souvenir shopping beforehand. Once again, I was insanely successful (not so good on the bank account though, haha). Somehow I also got suckered into going to ANOTHER H&M, and I bought stuff there as well!
Then it was time to meet for our bike tour around Munich with Mike’s Bike Tours. I didn’t have the opportunity to go on the Fat Tire Bike Tour in Paris because that was the morning that I unsuccessfully attempted to get into the French Open, so I was intrigued to see what a bike tour was like. While we were waiting for it to start, you’ll never believe who I ran into!... Jamie Hemmi from SAIL! It was so random! Apparently her A&M finance study abroad group that is studying in France was on vacation for a weekend in Munich. They just so happened to have booked a bike tour with Mike’s on the same afternoon! I got to talk to her for a bit which was very nice.

When the bike tour started I was optimistic that it was going to be fun, but I soon came to realize that our tour guide was a complete and total jerk. He was very rude to many people on our tour, and almost everything that came out of his mouth somehow was either dirty or vulgar. He thought that we as college students would enjoy his drug, sex, and alcohol humor, but most of us were not amused in the least. It was just way too over the top and way too constant. An occasional joke here and there would have been fine, but when every single museum and statue relates to sleeping with women or drugs, it gets old really fast. I’m not the kind of person to say anything about it though, at least not until after the tour is over, but apparently someone complained to a chaperone halfway through the tour and word got back to Will, our guide. He was pissed off and didn’t try to hide it from us either. He gave us the most sorry excuse for an apology I have ever heard in my entire life. It was obvious that he felt that he was the victim, that we were being unfair to him, and that we were all prudes and needed to lighten up. After that, my judgment of him was final, and he would definitely not be getting a tip from me at the conclusion of the tour. He continued to make condescending remarks directed towards how prude and easily offended we were, which only further hurt the situation. The bike tour was nice simply because we got to see many parts of Munich that I would not have seen otherwise, but my experience overall was not a good one. Maybe next year they should switch back to Lenny’s Bike Tours because I can’t imagine their guides could be worse than this guy.


After the bike tour, CJ, Laura, and I came back to the hotel and just took it easy. I showered, journaled, and packed because in the morning we leave bright and early for King Ludwig’s Castle (the Disney Castle) and then we arrive in Lucerne, our last destination! We go home 3 days from tomorrow! AH!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment