Thursday, June 3, 2010

Dachau Concentration Camp & Hofbrauhaus... again.

This morning we left the hotel after breakfast for Dachau Concentration Camp. Today was a somber day visiting the first concentration camp that was a part of the Holocaust. It was sort of a surreal experience. Thus far on the trip, we have been experiencing history that happened so long ago that its almost hard to comprehend. Roman ruins in Nice built Before Christ, buildings in built in the 1200’s, etc. This most horrendous disaster happened only about 70 years ago. That’s so recent compared to everything else we’ve seen. It was hard to see pictures of the dead and know that each of the tens of thousands that died at Dachau had a family and loved ones. I can’t imagine something like that happening to me or to someone I love. It’s just unimaginable and completely unforgivable. The fact that it was raining made the experience all the more depressing. I am very glad I got the experience of visiting a place so important in recent history though.



Because of the rain, we were not able to go on our bike tour around Munich today, like was planned on the schedule. It is being postponed until tomorrow afternoon after we visit BMW Welt. Instead, we are given a free afternoon to explore Munich. That would be fine normally, but today is a local holiday and most all stores are closed. ☹ Instead a large group of us hung out in the lobby for a while before heading over to the Hofbrauhaus. I don’t like beer at all, so the place isn’t nearly as interesting to me as it is to other people. I tried to have fun there, but I was fighting a losing battle. Everyone was getting more and more drunk, and I was taking on the role of very sober person who is annoyed by the all the noise.

Finally Laura, CJ , and I went to get dinner at Burger King. It was a nice break from everything, even if it was typical American fast food. Quick and simple is all I needed though! Then we headed back to the hotel. We were all feeling pretty chill and low-key, so we decided to make the most out of our free time and work on some of our other assignments for our trip’s final book such as the cultural differences, likes and dislikes, and interviews. It was nice to just have a quiet, relaxing time in the hotel lobby with close friends who I really enjoy spending time with. The trip is fun, but I’m getting to the point where I am increasingly homesick and can’t wait to be back in College Station, with my boyfriend, and with my family. Only 4 more days from tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment